Jan 17, 2008

Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish!

Do you remember the movie Shawshank Redemption? It's one of my all-time favorite movies, with Morgan Freeman and Tim Robins. If you've seen it, you'll remember the scene where the new batch of freshly convicted prisoners is arriving by bus into Shawshank prison. All of the already imprisoned inmates rush to the prison chain-link fences to see the new 'Fish', and as the terrified rookies get off the bus and waddle in their shackles through the courtyard the inmates are yelling "Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish!".

WELL. It seems we have created a prison ourselves, where the inmates really are fish, and there was definitely some intimidation going on.... Here's the skinny...

Kristin and I went out last night to spend the $20 Christmas gift my parents had given us to help add some zip to our aquarium. We picked up 4 neon tetras, and 2 larger Diamond Tetras!
We arrived at home, and set the sealed bag of new fishies into the tank (we let the bag sit at the top of the tank nearly submersed in the tank so the water temperatures reach an equilibrium as to not shock the fish when they are released).

It wasn't 5 seconds before our 3 rainbow fish were at the edge of the bag, enthusiastically peering in to see the neon tetras... Hmmm... wait a second... that isn't enthusiasm.... Those fish look hungry! Kristin - are they nipping at the bag?!? Maybe they're just curious?... Don't those neons look small compared to our fish? They looked bigger in the store didn't they?

I won't author the GORY details of their short lived fate, but lets just say that last night there were 3 Rainbow Fish, 4 Neon Tetras, and 2 large Finned Tetras. Before we went to bed there were 3 Rainbow Fish (one full, two still hungry), 3 Neon Tetras and 2 Diamond Tetras.



This morning, we have 3 well fed Rainbow Fish and 2 large Diamond Tetras.
I'm sorry fishies.
-Shawn-

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that maybe the THINKER got out-thunked! Ha-Ha G&A

6:49 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

Digusting! I keep saying it out loud and yelling for Kevin to stop them. Why didnt you rescue them? Yucky yucky.

9:55 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

deliver some justice

an eye for an eye; a fish for a fish

9:56 PM, January 18, 2008  
Blogger Thinker 2.0 said...

Oh, and for the record - Kristin wanted the neon tetras (I've cleaned out too many dead tetras from fish tanks over the years), and I chose the Diamond tetras. I didn't expect a long life out of the neons, but I certainly didn't expect they would be prey before leaving the bag!
-Shawn-

10:34 AM, January 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the fishies (they were pretty)... but really enjoyed the posting and the pics. Keep up the good work, half of Team Taylor!
- Hugs, M-I-L (comprenez-vous?)

5:17 PM, January 19, 2008  
Blogger Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

Hey! I cant believe you voted to ship me off to Honduras for a year :) Hum! I thought we were friends! :)

Alright I am still really grossed out by this fish thing? I asked Kevin today... why didnt they recuse them.... so even though now, I think your both a bit ...fishy... I will still let you see the "private blog"

9:31 PM, January 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home